Friday, February 24, 2006

Old School Friday I

Kirk Franklin and the Family
Kirk Franklin and the Family
Tracklisting:
1. Why We Sing
2. He's Able
3. Silver and Gold
4. Call On The Lord
5. Real Love
6. He Can Handle It
7. A Letter To My Friend
8. The Family Worship Medley
9. Speak To Me
10. Till We Meet Again


Growing up, my mom had the radio tuned to a gospel station every Sunday going to and from church. It wasn't really until I heard Kirk Franklin & The Family's "Why We Sing" that made me turn into an avid gospel music listener and brought me a little closer in my walk with God. Their album, was the first gospel album I'd ever owned (bought it on cassette tape) and nearly fifteen years later, I still wear this album out (I've since bought the cd, since the cassette tape wore out :-) ), which is also the reason why I chose this album to start old school Fridays with.

Kirk Franklin is today's Thomas Dorsey and Walter Hawkins of gospel music. Before this album, Kirk had been in the gospel industry for awhile composing songs for GMWA (Gospel Music Workshop of America) National Mass Choir and the Dallas Fort-Worth Mass Choir to name a few, but his self-titled debut album, made him a stand out artist. I can't really pick a few songs as my favorite because they all are, it's just one of those albums that you can listen to from beginning to end. I've also included the other album Kirk Franklin recorded with The Family below (wish they'd reconcile their differences and come back with another album to bless the masses with). Enjoy and be blessed!



Here ya go...



Kirk Franklin & The Family

Whatcha Lookin' 4


Some gospel pearls...



Take It Away - Rev. Earnest Davis Jr. And The Wilmington/Chester Mass Choir



Troubles Don't Last Always - Rev. Timothy Wright & The Chicago Interdenominational Mass Choir


Say The Word - Benedict College Gospel Choir


That's When You Bless Me - L.A. Mass Choir



I Won't Complain - Florida A&M University Gospel Choir



Gain The World - James Hall & Worship and Praise


Fully Committed - Kingdom



The Shepherd's Song - Mississippi Children's Choir



As always, if you have been blessed by any of the artists presented, please go out and purchase their albums. That's it for now, look out for more tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks..you wouldnt happen to have a whole CD by the Mississippi Mass Childrens Choir would you, i mean i have a few songs by them but not a whole CD...thanks in advance if you do..

Lilmama said...

I have all 3 Mississippi Children's Choir cds, I'll post them at a later date when I do an upcoming blog on children and youth choirs.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone have a copy of the song "Fully Committed" by Kingdom?

I am looking for it... I would like to walk down the isle to it at my wedding. Thx.

Sherri