Thursday, October 05, 2006

What is really going on?






The picture above is from a new Christian Rap artist named Soul P's upcoming release The Premiere. You can listen to tracks from the album at his MySpace page .


Now from looking at this cd cover, I've got to ask why does he have a group of people clamoring towards him like he's a rock star? Is this really an appropriate cover for a gospel artist, because last time I checked singing gospel isn't aboutself glorification but the glorification of God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit, so why doesn't his cover reflect this?


I'm listening to his track, Goodness and I'm not feeling it at all. I really don't like to be critical of God's music, but it really doesn't say anything about God. It's like Trin-i-tee 5:7's latest song Back In The Day (which you can listen at Nuthinbutgospel). When I saw them perform this (yes, it was a performance and not them ministering), on TBN last month, I was like what is this? No where in the song did it say anything about God, it was about growing up back in the day (think of the rap artist Amhad and his song, "Back In The Day").

I really pray that this isn't the direction God's music is going...






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Christian Rap" artist, or "Positive/Conscious Rap" artist? I feel what ur sayin', Lilmama...

As for the album cover, I think it all relates to the album title, 'The premiere'. Seems like he's being hounded by the press at HIS premiere...like his "coming of age", or "arriving" as an artist.

On it's own, "Goodness" really doesn't have alot to offer the Gospel market. I think it may serve it's purpose much better when presented in album form, not as a single. Kind of an inspirational track..."feel good" music, to compliment the Gospel tracks I hope this CD contains. In that context, I think it could work...especially since he states he wants to reach both the commercial market and the church.

I guess we'll see...I had a hard time with "Contemporary" or "Urban" Gospel for a longgggg time. It wasn't until the last year or so that I began to accept SOME of what was going on with Gospel music. I realize now that I had been too hard on SOME of the artists who were ministering in the way God gave them.

Still, there is a limit to how far an artist can go before they go "too far". Not everyone is going to agree on what's "too far". It's not some written or spoken boundary, other than what u would find in His word. It's more of a common sense thing...a feeling u get...u know it for urself when you've reached it. When it begins to be more about ME than GOD...I start to look at the number of units sold instead of the number of corespondence telling how they've been blessed by the message..."performing" 'till I'm satisfied with the result of my voice, instead of "ministering" until God says it's enough...or maybe I'm just trying to force my ministry to be something OTHER than what God ordained it to be. We go astray in so many ways. :-)

But our God is faithful to forgive, to redirect, and to use us again. All we must do is deny ourselves, and let Him have His way.

Anonymous said...

to answer the prompt of "I really pray that this isn't the direction God's music is going..."

I REALLY HOPE NOT EITHER.

If so than we as believers have some work to do. Honestly.

And Unclewich I think you were referring to "discernment."

To minister you need the Holy Spirit. Period.

It's HIS ANOINTING.

Hey Lady Lil Mama, just wanted to stop in and say hi! Lol.

Anonymous said...

You know I completely agree with you! I think that's why A LOT of people in the Kingdom have a problem with "Holy Rap" because they peer into it and see album covers like this!!!

I'm a fan of Da T.R.U.T.H. and educated brother, who went to seminary and put his time in as far as "understanding of the Word" goes... but,

A lot of these guys out here are rapping about shine, glorfying them selves and repersenting cliques instead of the Kingdom of guy.

Goodness, have you seen the Pettide(I think I spelled his name right?) album cover!

Not sure what Soul P intended his album cover to relay to us but to me, it's saying some very confusing things.

Anonymous said...

This was a ? i asked back when i was a youth does every song need to say Jesus to minister to somebody? I dont think so. Sometimes just hearing a song about something someone went through help someone. I think sometimes we are to quick to judge.

Lilmama said...

Hello

Anonymous said...

Hip Hop is a spirit that has self glorifcation as one it's main elements among others. If we turned off the music and he took of his "Jesus" sweat shirt you would certainly wouldn't think that this young man knew God at all!